Project Manager/Building Inspector
This position is responsible for conducting inspections for residential development, along with electrical, HVAC, and plumbing inspections while monitoring adherence to ordinances and regulations, annual budget preparation, and the execution and coordination of city-wide projects as assigned by City Manager.
• Provides progress reports and updates City Manager,
• Prepares annual budget and monitors department and project expenditures,
• Attends Planning and Zoning meetings as requested by City Manager.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
• Knowledge and ability to interpret city department policies and procedures.
• Knowledge and ability to implement city, State and Federal building codes.
• Knowledge of modern building construction, electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning practices, methods, materials and equipment.
• Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
• Knowledge of generally accepted engineering, construction and building practices.
• Skill in using independent judgment and discretion.
• Skill in prioritizing and scheduling assignments.
• Skill in communication effectively with contractors, builders, developers, the general public and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
• Skill in basic computer applications for word processing and spreadsheets.
• Ability to understand and interpret building construction plans and specifications.
• Ability to maintain routine records.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with building owners, architects, contractors, public officials and the public.
Supervisory Controls: This person works under the direct supervision of the City Manager
Guidelines: Guidelines include City and department policies and procedures, city codes and ordinances, zoning ordinances, national building codes and regulations. These guidelines require sound judgment and interpretation in application.
Complexity: The work consists of varied duties in the inspection of residential and commercial construction and development, and project management of various types, such as, but not limited to, building, streets, sewer and water.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to inspect residential and commercial construction and development projects to ensure compliance with city regulations and specifications, to ensure a safe work environment and to ensure work is performed in compliance with approved erosion and sedimentation control procedures.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers, engineers, architects, contractors, elected officials, and the general public. Works in conjunction with Community Development Coordinator, and coordinates development activities with Main Street Department.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve problems and provide services.
Physical Demands: Work is typically performed with the employee walking, sitting, standing, bending, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. The employee must occasionally lift light to moderately heavy objects, climb ladders, use tools or equipment that require a high degree of dexterity, and distinguish between shades of color.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed outside at construction sites and may include occasional exposure to hot cold or inclement weather, rough terrain, noise, dust, dirt and machinery with moving parts. At times the employee may be required to wear protective equipment. Office work is also required.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: None
• Bachelor’s degree preferred or four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in construction trade;
• Must possess certification by International Code Council as Combination Inspector or have all of the (4) ICC Residential Inspector Certifications (Building Mechanical, Plumbing, Electrical);
• GASWCC IB Certified (if not, must be willing to get certification within 1 year of hire).
• Experience with project management, adhering to deadlines and budgets
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Verification). We will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from your DHS Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. If we cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, we will provide you written instructions and an opportunity to contact SSA and/or DHS.
Hampton E-Verify Information
- E-Verify Company ID Number: 225335
- Date of Memorandum of Understanding: June 25, 2009