Human Resources Department
The HR Department is responsible for establishing, administering and effectively communicating sound employee policies, rules and practices that treat employees with dignity, respect and equality. This occurs while maintaining the City of Hampton compliance with all Federal, State employment and labor laws, as well as internal personnel policies.
As a strategic partner to all City departments, HR advises, develop, educate, and coach supervisors in the management of the City’s greatest assets: its employees. HR also provides personnel related recommendations to the City Council and City Manager.
HR function includes:
- Recruitment, selection and retention
- Employee training, workforce development and performance evaluation
- Salary and compensation administration
- Management of employee benefits programs
- Workers' compensation, occupational health and wellness programs administration
- Administration of HR Information Systems
- Responsible for certain payroll functions, in collaboration with the Finance Department
The HR Department is committed to achieve the highest standards of public administration through sound HR practices, to ensure compliance with all employment laws. HR provides employees with the support, training and development they need to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of their positions as a public servant.