Utility Bill Explanation
Helping To Explain Your Utility Bill
The following information is provided to help you understand the utility services bill which you receive monthly from the City of Hampton. The total amount you are billed can be understood by the following explanations of each line item on your bill. (Your bill may not contain each example.)
- Electricity: Is stated in kilowatts (kW) used from the beginning to end of the billing period. This is followed by total kilowatts used, and the number of days billed.
- Water: Includes the beginning and end meter reading for the billing period in gallons. These columns are followed by total gallons used, the days billed, and, the average daily water use in gallons.
- Sewer: Equal to 100% of the water bill and will be the same amount as your water usage.
- Garbage: The garbage bill is shown in the last column at $14.00 per home.
- Water Base Rate: The base water rate per household as at October 1, 2021 is $11.00 per month and will increase to $12.00 effective October 1, 2022. This is the minimum charge for availability of water service.
- Sewer Base Rate: The base sewer rate per household as at October 1, 2021 is $11.00 per month and will increase to $12.00 effective October 1, 2022, for the availability of sewer services.
- Electric Base Rate: The base electric rate per household as at October 1, 2021 is $10.00 per month and will increase to $12.00 effective October 1, 2022. This is the minimum charge for availability of electric service.
- Sales Tax: Applied to the Electrical use only.
For Small Commercial, Large Commercial and Government rates please contact City Hall.
Other charges that may appear on your bill are:
- $8 charge if you add an additional garbage container
- $15 charge for each bulk pick up, should you request it
- $18.00/$24.00/$204.60 charge if you have a private security light